Brisbane Broncos forward David Fifita will face no disciplinary action from the NRL after his recent arrest in Bali.
The 19-year-old was alleged to have been involved in a nightclub altercation with a security guard and spent two days in custody last month before being released without charge.
However, NRL integrity chiefs said evidence available to them was “inconclusive”, leading the league to decide against sanctioning the player.
The Queensland Maroons back-rower said in the wake of the incident he had “learnt a big lesson”, with the circumstances examined in an internal review of the circumstances commissioned by the Broncos.
On Thursday, the NRL announced: “The National Rugby League [NRL] will not initiate any disciplinary action against Broncos player David Fifita in relation to the incident in Bali last month.
“The NRL’s integrity unit says evidence relating to the incident outside a Bali nightclub was inconclusive. The NRL said it was satisfied that the actions of the Broncos club were appropriate in the circumstances.”
NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg added: “It is important that our determinations are based on the evidence before us. In this case, after analysing a multitude of evidence we cannot say with certainty that a breach has occurred.”
The Broncos have no plans to penalise Fifita, either.
Club chief executive Paul White said: “We are satisfied with the NRL’s decision on this matter – David will pull on a Broncos jersey to play round one and we feel that is a fair result for him and for the club.
“We trust David’s version of events in that he did not commit an assault, but we understand that the integrity unit had a job to do.”