Los Angeles Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said he is “excited” after star defensive end Joey Bosa agreed to a new contract.
Bosa is set to become the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL following his reported five-year extension with the Chargers on Tuesday.
The two-time Pro Bowler will reportedly earn $135million, $102m guaranteed, and Lynn is glad to have Bosa’s future sorted following Melvin Gordon’s holdout last year.
“Joey is tied down for a little while, and we’re all excited about it. We have some other guys with contracts coming up, but time will tell,” Lynn said on Wednesday.
“It’s one less distraction you have to deal with.”
we have agreed to terms on a contract extension with Joey Bosa. pic.twitter.com/2Bnfpperzb
— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) July 29, 2020
Running back Gordon missed camp in 2019 and did not report back until the fourth week of the regular season, before eventually signing for the Denver Broncos in the offseason.
“It didn’t work out with Melvin last year but glad it worked out now,” Lynn added.
“It’s my job to build these players up and make them feel like Superman. When they want to get paid like Superman I step back.”
Bosa finished the 2019 campaign with 67 total tackles, 18 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks for the Chargers as he earned his second Pro-Bowl appearance in four seasons.
The 25-year-old – the third pick in the 2016 NFL Draft – posted the third double-digit sack season of his career, but the Chargers missed the playoffs.